Thursday, April 19, 2007

Medical school?


I don't know why here in the middle east, they have a thing for med. school.. a big thing actually.
And all must get into med. school, whether it's what they really want or if they're smart enough or they have what it takes for med. school..
I have been shocked by a friend of mine when I saw their application for grade-12 that had: the major you want to get into for university and the answer was: medical school... and I was soooo shocked that she wanted to get into med. school. I know her for almost 2 years and I know that she doesn't have what it takes to med. school.. and I know that it came from that obsession Arabs -I don't know if others have that thing for med. school also- have about med. school, they think that being a doctor is incomparable to any other job and one has respect by just being a doctor.. -no offence to any doc.-
People should go after what they want and what they are good at, because they're going to be -whatever they choose to be- a doctor/an engineer/ an artist/ etc. etc. etc. their whole life, unless they changed it in somehow. so they should consider their options and think about what they really want not what people want them to be and if you're honest about anything then you'll prove yourself wherever you are and whatever you do.. and that is exactly what I'm going to do when I choose what I want to get into at university.
and that made me think, seeing that application of my friend, there are other majors other than getting into med. school and one must follow what they're good at and what they like, and that also made me think of the poor people she's going to treat or how she will feel if she didn't make it and survive because one must have some specific qualities to get into med. school -I'm sure a lot will nod reading this-
but I didn't even bother to talk to her about it or tell her what I think because it's her life and her future and I just asked: 'you want to get into med. school?' and she said: 'yes' and that was it with her....
Now, I haven't decided what I want to get into at uni. or what do I want to be in the future but I have a clear idea of what I don't want to get into and that is medical school, I think med. school isn't for people like me and it's not something that I want to become which is being a doctor...
if you want to get into med. school then I have nothing to do with it, you're so free in getting into what you want and if you have what it takes for it then you totally got my respect because maybe you someday will treat me or maybe not..

4 comments:

Saudamini said...

GREAT POST!! I so love you for this...and a small piece of information that might interest you...in India...the obesession is same, if(mind you--IF) not more!!!!

VERY GOOD POST!! :D

u gotta keep writing.

Ashok said...

Well there it is medicine here it is software engineering.

Going against the trend by taking law has worked a lot in my favour and it is precisely more such people like you that we need.:)

Getting Healthy said...

It's sad. Customs and traditions and , don't know how parents or somebody who thinks is the big tries to change things.

It's sad.

Getting Healthy said...

do you think a solution is possible ?

For me it is possible but, it is - hard journey we're going through to change.

Success - don't think so is possible - But, it doesn't mean we should stop rightaway we should try our best to change things.