Sunday, July 12, 2009

Boston Legal

I was watching 'Boston Legal, season 1' with my father, -yes, he loves that show.- while reading, but as I knew better I got interested in the episode, even though I don't like that show much, but this particular case they were handling was quite interesting, so here it is:
'Their company is representing a Sudanese native who is suing the U.S. government for not taking action against the mayhem that is happening in his country.'
The Defense lawyer said that this case was based on nothing, they can't sue the US for its political decisions. However Shirley Schmidt had some interesting argument:
The US promised to help with this situation, so other countries took the US's word and didn't do anything because supposedly the US is! But the government changed its mind and no body did anything to help because of the US! Our government is involved in some many countries' business! Why couldn't they simply have said 'Hey, that's not our problem!'
So the Defense lawyer replied that the government can't say that's not their problem.. so Shirley said: 'Then, that's the problem!'

I thought it was really true, and to the point!

1 comment:

Ashok said...

Your dad and me have one thing in common then :) I am a great fan of the series. You should watch the video of Alan Shore taking on the Supreme court judges on the death penalty issue too.